Here are five facts that you probably didn’t know about darts.
- Did you know Raymond van Barneveld struck the first nine-darters in the PDC World Championship back in 2009. He has since managed to gain a total of nine, nine-darters in his career.
- John Part was the first player to win a World title in three different venues: Alexandra Palace (2008), Lakeside (1994) and Circus Tavern (2003)
- There are 3,944 ways of achieving the perfect nine-dart finish in a game of 501.
- In 1977 Muhammed Ali tried his hand at darts in an exhibition match against Welsh champion darter Alan Evans who was only allowed to score on trebles. Ali checked out with a bullseye and declared himself “Darts champion of the world.”
- The game is said to have been founded in Europe towards the end of the 19th century; it is believed soldiers would use arrows to throw into trunks of trees.